Monday 26 October 2015

TEACHING LESS PRIVILEGED KIDS HOW TO USE COMPUTER IN KENYA

The statistics

Over the next 10 years it is estimated that there will be 1.4 million jobs in IT and computer sciences, and only around 400,000 graduates qualified to do them.  This catchy statistic made me smile at myself and thump my chest Saying, “What a smart person I was to be in the IT related profession”. We are living in an age of unparalleled digital disruption, with massive amounts of technology-driven change, huge innovation, and significant evolution in the ways people use technology.

According to The Global Information Technology Report 2015, over 12 billion devices are connected to the Internet, and that number is expected to increase to over 20 billion by 2020. These connections provide more data for better decision-making and improve the way governments, businesses, and individuals operate.  I count myself lucky to be in this generation of techies witnessing the digital disruption and being part and parcel of it. 

The nostalgia

Yes I am excited and lucky, so I count myself. My first interaction with an electronic device was when I was seven years old. Feel free to guess what it was and how thrilled I was. It was a neighbor’s radio jukebox .The question which flooded my mind was: “How did those singing guys get inside that small box?” The second device was Gameboy, then I graduated to brick game. My biggest question was how does this thing work?  where do the bricks come from? Why can’t they come out? Few times I opened inside to see if I could see the bricks. To my surprise there were only wires and circuit boards. I thought radio would be different, but to my surprise, same things (wires and all) filled all these machines. Of course, the radio was different because its inside was also filled with pregnant cockroaches breeding inside.

Simbi and Alego primary school pupils at WespeakCodeKE event in Homabay  County
As the curiosity grew, I started repairing my friend’s radios, with reference of course to the working ones, and it was trial and error and copying the arrangement of different components within the circuits. I was born in town so I count myself lucky.  Probably by now I know you are wondering, “why the narrative?”.  Well, wonder no more.

The moment of learning

Over the weekend, I was part of a team of volunteers from Maseno University, Lakehub, JKUAT and Masinde Muliro University at #WeSpeakCodeKE in remote parts of Homabay county Kenya. Teaching less-privileged kids how to use computer, Introducing digital literacy to them. -It was their first time to see a computer, let alone touch it. I thought I was giving them my skills, but deep down I was receiving much more. I was sharing their stories and humbleness. It was so peaceful and fulfilling. After 3 days 600 kids learnt the basics of programming. They could define what a computer is, interact with it and code a simple computer game. Then we had lots of fun, with the volunteering team. 
but deep down I was receiving much more. I was sharing their stories and humbleness. It was so peaceful and fulfilling. After 3 days 600 kids learnt the basics of programming. They could define what a computer is, interact with it and code a simple computer game. Then we had lots of fun, with the volunteering team.

The codes

Moses Oiro Lead at Lakehub directing pupils on how to code during WespeakcodeKe event
#WeSpeakCodeKE is an initiative to spark interest and demystify coding among young learners of between the ages 8-14 in Kenya. The program is part of Microsoft Global Youth Spark Initiative in Kenya implemented by Microsoft East Africa, AIESEC in JKUAT and Kids COMP CAMP. On the other hand, #VillageCode is an initiative with a mission to become the leading resource for youth in Western Kenya and become passionate creators of technology and not merely consumers, through hands on social and collaborative learning of technical skills. Implemented by Lakehub Kisumu, the program is part of Google CS-first program, which empowers students to create with technology, through free computer science clubs.

Pupils at school kids at Alego primary school in Homabay learning how to Code  
Accounting my experience, I could count myself very lucky at my childhood having interacted with at least an electronic device at that early age. But again the kids who are undergoing #Villagecode and #WespeakCodeKE programs are amongst the luckiest kids in the entire sub-Saharan Africa. “If only I had such an opportunity at my early age, I would be a better programmer than I am today”. So I said to myself. 
With ICTs contributing to global economic growth, developing regions have experienced a steady decline in absolute poverty. The global extreme poverty rate (those individuals surviving on less than $1.25/day) has dropped from 1.9 billion people in 1981 to 1.3 billion in 2010 according to the World Bank: a drop in extreme poverty rates from greater than 50 percent to 21 percent. This decline in extreme poverty has been driven by long-run recent growth across Africa.
To maintain a steady flow of workforce and development in different regions of Kenya and globally, IT and Computer science driven uptake   programs like these ones are very essential, in sparking the kid’s curiosity.  These programs provide greater economic opportunities for individual Kids and build a pipeline of innovators for the future workforce. These programs purpose to create a community of technology developers rather than consumers.